Although, I have been in denial, fall is here and winter approaches. The cold weather does mean wearing more clothes which means more opportunity to make a statement with your style. Here are 5 things I am obsessed with the Fall/Winter season.
1. Tailored Preppy American classics are back but with modern tailoring which I love. And I especially love the clothing from Penguin this season.
2. Blazers & Ties Try dressing up more whether you have to or not…Add a skinny tie to an long-sleeve oxford and a herringbone blazer with dark blue jeans…For a more layered and warmer look add a cardigan or sweater.
3. Work Boots I am obsessed in general with boots but my favorite style this season is military and work boots in dark colors – black, charcoal, or brown. Specifically, I am digging Corcoran Jump Boots…pretty easy to find on Amazon or even Ebay for a pre-owned pair.
4. The Vest Vests are an easy way to dress up just about anything. I especially love a vest with a henley or oxford shirt.
5. Black and Tan Not sure why but this winter – I am all about mixing blacks/grays with camel/tan colors. I plan to pull out my Camel coat this winter and wear a black oxford, pants, and boots…and you should try it to.
Thank You GQ for the most helpful, Seven Style Mistakes piece…I loved the tips. I am so tired of seeing guys in clothes that aren’t current and don’t flatter them. And the fix is simple, concentrate on fit. I loved the author’s advice to try on smaller jackets until you can’t get the sucker on and then buy the size up. I love the Dolce and Gabbana leather bomber jacket above…a stylish and classic alternative to the all too common bulky leather jacket. Furthermore, bold printed ties have been out since the 90s, so why do I still see guys rocking them. And if any one is wondering, buying those shirt and tie combos you can purchase as some department stores is never a good idea. Keep the patterns simple: I am a huge fan of a bold stripe or subtle herringbone. And be adventurous with color with a solid silk tie. My final favorite without ruining the slideshow is the oversize suit – make it stop! I often see guys wearing suits that are too big for them. I agree with the author that the same sizing down approach mentioned earlier applies here as well. However, my shoulders have taught me much more. If you have an athletic build, then there is NO chance that a suit off the rack will fit you. So make sure you budget for a tailor. They can work magic and a good tailor will be able to educate you on how a suit should fit. To check out all seven of these common style mistakes, check out the slide show here.
So what is the moral of the story: keep up with fashion trends and focus on fit!