Although, I have been in denial, fall is here and winter approaches. The cold weather does mean wearing more clothes which means more opportunity to make a statement with your style. Here are 5 things I am obsessed with the Fall/Winter season.
1. Tailored Preppy American classics are back but with modern tailoring which I love. And I especially love the clothing from Penguin this season.
2. Blazers & Ties Try dressing up more whether you have to or not…Add a skinny tie to an long-sleeve oxford and a herringbone blazer with dark blue jeans…For a more layered and warmer look add a cardigan or sweater.
3. Work Boots I am obsessed in general with boots but my favorite style this season is military and work boots in dark colors – black, charcoal, or brown. Specifically, I am digging Corcoran Jump Boots…pretty easy to find on Amazon or even Ebay for a pre-owned pair.
4. The Vest Vests are an easy way to dress up just about anything. I especially love a vest with a henley or oxford shirt.
5. Black and Tan Not sure why but this winter – I am all about mixing blacks/grays with camel/tan colors. I plan to pull out my Camel coat this winter and wear a black oxford, pants, and boots…and you should try it to.
Dreading the chillier weather, my outlook for fall wasn’t that positive. And then I stopped in to J. Crew and saw these Red Wing boots. Red Wing Shoes, provider of American work boots since 1905, has recreated the classic Irish Setter boot – circa 1952 exclusively for J.Crew. I spotted them this weekend and have visited them twice since and that is not like me. There are two problems: 1. I don’t need them (which hasn’t stopped me before) and 2. They are $325 – yikes. I am hoping that their wonderfulness evades Bostonians so that I can purchase them on sale. Although J.Crew sells this vintage version which I love, a similar pair is on the Red Wing site at a suggested retail price of $223. And while you can not order them online directly through Red Wing, I am on the hunt for a local store that carries the cheaper version.
I like the way J.Crew is showing the boots in their catalog with jeans, a striped cardigan and field jacket. Last season, I was all about refined, dressy boots, this season, I am into the rugged look. And these Red Wings are classics which will always be in style. So I recommend you grab a pair, but only if you are not a size 10.